Title IX/Sexual Assault

What Students Need to Know

Obtaining Information, Assistance, and Support; Reporting Options

  1. Find a safe location away from the person who assaulted you. Ask a trusted friend to be with you for moral support.
  2. Preserve all evidence of the assault.
    1. Do not bathe, wash your hands, brush your teeth, urinate or deficate, eat or smoke. If you must urinate, wipe and then put the toilet paper you used into a dry paper sack and give to law enforcement. 
    2. If you are still at the location at which the assault occurred, do not clean, straighten up or remove anything.
    3. Write down all the details you can recall about the assault and the person who harmed you.
  3. Report the assault to law enforcement immediately (Brookline Police Department can be reached by calling 911, 617-730-2222, or contacting Newbury Campus Safety at 617-730-7160). Reporting to police will not affect your ability to pursue resolution through the College's process. The College process is independent from the criminal process.
  4. If you want more information, contact Brookline Area Rape Crisis Center (617-492-7273 or www.barcc.com) or the National Sexual Assault Hotlines (800.656.HOPE or https://ohl.rainn.org/online/). A counselor can help you understand the reporting process.
  5. Seek medical care as soon as possible. Even if you do not have any visible physical injuries, you could have internal injuries or you may be at risk of acquiring a sexually transmitted infection (and women may also be at risk for pregnancy).
    1. Go to the nearest hospital, which offers evidence collection to victims of rape, sexual assault, and domestic violence. A trained nurse will meet with you and your support person to discuss how evidence can be collected and used later in a criminal prosecution. 
    2. If you suspect you have been drugged, request that a urine sample be collected to preserve evidence.
  6. Seek Confidential Crisis Counseling. Recognize that healing from an assault takes time. Give yourself the time you need and know that it is never too late to get help. 
    1. For on-campus counseling services, contact Newbury College Counseling Center at 617-730-7157.
      1. For free, confidential help 24/7, contact the: 24 hour confidential Boston-Area Rape Crisis Center 1-800-841-8371, www.barcc.org or
      2. National Sexual Assault Hotline (800.656.HOPE, https://ohl.rainn.org/online/).
  7. You may report to: (1) the police, in which case the State's Attorney will decide whether or not to persue criminal charges, and (2) the College, in which case the College will assess the report and determine the appropriate course of action. You may pursue both or neither of these options. While you may make a report at any time, filing a report immediately after an incident can help to preserve important evidence.
  8. College Obligations: Once a report is received, the College will conduct an initial assessment, and take any immediate action that may be necessary to protect the health and safety of individuals and the College community. Depending on the nature and severity of the conduct reported, the College may be required to share all known information, including names, with law enforcement. The College is committed to protecting the safety of the broader College community, which includes reporting crime statistics and, in some cases, issuing incident notifications in accordance with federal law. Most College employees -- "Responsible Employees" -- are required to report any knowledge of an incident of sexual or gender-based violence or harassment to the College's Title IX Coordinator. Licenced clinical health and mental health care providers are considered confidential resources and will not report Prohibited Conduct to the College's Title IX Coordinator. 

Newbury College Sexual Assault Victims' Bill of Rights

The "Campus Sexual Assault Victims' Bill of Rights" was enacted in 1992 by the United States Congress as part of the Higher Education Amendments of 1992 (Public Law: 102-325, section 486(c)). It exists as a part of the campus security reporting requirements, known as the Jeanne Clery Act. This law requires that all colleges and universities participating in federal student aid programs afford sexual assault victims certain basic rights. This law also requires the university to notify victims of their option to report their assault to the proper law enforcement authorities. The "Campus Sexual Assault Victims' Bill of Rights" exists as a part of the campus security reporting requirements, commonly known as the Jeanne Clery Act. The Violence Against Women Reauthorization Act (VAWA), signed into law March 7, 2014, imposes new obligations on colleges and universities under its Campus Sexual Violence Act ("SaVE Act") provision, Section 304.

Sexual Assault Victims' Bill of Rights

  • Accuser and accused must have the opportunity to have others present.
  • Survivors will be notified of their options to notify law enforcement. 
    • Office of Campus Safety, Dan Amorim, 617-730-7018
  • Both parties will be informed of the outcome of any disciplinary proceeding.
    • Dean of Student Affairs, Jenn Forry, 617-713-5901
  • Survivors will be notified of available counseling services.
    • Director of the Counseling Center, Suzy Chamandy, 617-730-7157
  • Survivors will be notified of options for changing academic and living situations.
    • Dean of Student Affairs, Jenn Forry, 617-713-5901

Sexual harassment or sexual violence includes domestic violence, stalking, and dating violence. These acts should be reported to campus safety authorities. Retaliation against individuals reporting sexual harassment and/or sexual violence will not be tolerated and will be addressed. 

Questions about Newbury College's Title IX policy and protocol can be directed to:

Mr. Paul Martin
Title IX Coordinator
Vice President for Administration
Mittion House, 2nd Floor
Email: paul.martin@newbury.edu

data-cookie-options="{'domain': 'newbury.edu'}">

We use cookies on this website. By continuing to use the website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out how to manage cookies here or Accept & hide message