Frequently Asked Questions

Will Newbury help me in the transfer process?

Please know that your college education remains a priority for us and we are here to help in your continuing academic pursuits in any way that we can. Specifically, the College has created a Transfer Services division, housed on the first floor of Mitton House, to assist you in your transition from Newbury. Transfer counselors will be assigned to every student. You will be notified of your transfer counselor at the end of the Add/Drop period for the spring semester.

Does Newbury have any agreements in place with other transfer schools for me to consider?

Newbury College has officially entered into agreements with a number of local and regional institutions to ensure that you have access to a streamlined and expedited admission process, which includes housing (if applicable), transfer of all earned credits that meet minimum transfer requirements, carryover of your current GPA, and financial aid. The following institutions have executed agreements with Newbury College:

  • Bunker Hill Community College
  • Curry College
  • Fisher College
  • Framingham State University
  • Johnson & Wales University
  • Lasell College
  • Lesley University
  • Pine Manor College
  • Regis College
  • University of Massachusetts Boston

In addition to these institutions, we are also finalizing agreements with:

  • Boston Architectural College
  • Simmons University
  • Suffolk University

Do I have options beyond the schools that Newbury has partnerships with?

In addition to our transfer partner schools, we have identified additional institutions throughout New England with comparable academic programs for you to consider. These options should be discussed when you meet with your transfer counselor.

Will colleges be coming to campus to meet with students?

In an effort to familiarize students with their transfer school options, Newbury College will hosting three Transfer Fairs during the month of February:

  • Thursday, February 7 (Transfer Partner Schools only)
  • Tuesday, February 12 (New England Colleges & Universities I)
  • Thursday, February 14 (for New England Colleges & Universities II)

All three events will take place in the Student Center Auditorium from 12-3 pm. In all, students will have the opportunity to meet with representatives from over 60 schools that have expressed an interest in enrolling our students.

In addition, Newbury also plans to bring schools onto campus for additional information sessions and to host information tables during luncheon hours in the dining hall.

Will I need to apply to transfer schools via the Common Application and will I need to pay an application fee to these schools?

For some of our partner schools, a separate “fast application” has been set up for students.  In cases where there are not, the Common Application would be used. For all partner schools and some other institutions, the application fee may be waived.

Am I guaranteed admission with Newbury’s transfer partner schools?

For students in good academic and conduct standing, admission is guaranteed to all transfer partner schools in their relevant major.

Does my financial aid package carry over to my next school?

Your Newbury financial aid package does not automatically carry over to your next school, however, financial aid is addressed in the majority of our transfer partner school agreements that efforts to create a comparable net cost for students. Please consult see the individual transfer partner school agreements for details on each, which can vary from schools matching all institutional aid funding, merit-funding only, or a percentage of net price.

What is the process for discharging loans?

To apply for a closed school loan discharge, you can either:

  • Complete and return the Closed School Loan Discharge Application sent to you by your servicer or complete this Closed School Loan Discharge Application and return it to your loan servicer, or
  • Contact your loan servicer for more information before you complete the application.

You must send your Closed School Loan Discharge Application to your federal student loan servicer. To find out who your loan servicer is log in to My Federal Student Aid or call 1-800-4-FED-AID (1-800-433-3243; TTY for the hearing impaired 1-800-730-8913).

  • Be sure to continue to make payments on your loan while your discharge application is being processed.

If you do not meet the criteria for a loan discharge, you will be informed by your loan servicer and will need to continue making payments on your loans based on the terms of your promissory note.

What happens to my college records after Newbury closes?

Once Newbury College closes at the end of the Spring semester, Lasell College will become the official school of record, where all student files will be kept.

How can I stay up-to-date on transfer-related information and announcements?

We encourage students to frequently visit the “Closure & Transfer” tab on the College’s web site as this will be the most current information available to students and their families, including details on the transfer agreements, resources to support the transfer process, and updates relating to additional partnerships and colleges coming on campus.

data-cookie-options="{'domain': ''}">

We use cookies on this website. By continuing to use the website, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Find out how to manage cookies here or Accept & hide message